Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Monday, March 28, 2011
OK, this is technically 1.5 months behind.. but who's counting?! ;)
Owen turned 4 months old on February 6th. At his 4 month check up, he weighed 17 pounds! He is in the 90th percentile for the his height and weight.. I love my big, healthy boy. Here he is on Valentine's Day in a shirt my Granny (his great granny) made for him!
We had a playdate with friends in the afternoon and later that evening, we had a date with Taylor & Gracie... we joked that Taylor & I are 'sister wives' when her hubby is out of town, because we have babies around the same age, matching diaper bags, and we are always switching babies back and forth between the three of us. I love my 'sister wife'! ha!
Owen & Gracie's first kiss after their first date
Love these girls so much!! (Grayson was on a date with his Mimi)
Daddy and Owen at dinner
Happy First Valentine's Day to the sweetest little boy I know...
I hope everyone got to spend Valentine's Day with someone they love. :)
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Owen has been in a great mood this morning... ever since we started feeding him baby food, he has slept so well throughout the night.. only waking up once for a bottle! He does wake up early, but it helps Jer get out of bed for work, so I can't complain. Here is a video of him bouncing this morning... please ignore my deep, morning 'man voice'.. thank you much! :)
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
If you follow me on Twitter- @HESturgeon then you have already seen photos of the dresser Jer and I sanded, painted and distressed. We found it at Goodwill for a whopping $60! It is Bassett Cherry wood.. I have looked online to try and find the original price, but no luck! I've never refinished or repainted anything, but Jer's mom used to own an antique store, so he knows a thing or two about it. I read this blog post and watched the videos to go along with it beforehand.
We sanded down the dresser to take the glossy finish off, so it would take paint easier. That took a couple of hours. We didn't touch the dresser for a few weeks, for no other reason than that we were busy and didn't have time. So, this past weekend, we got all of our supplies from Home Depot, put Owen in his bouncer, and went at it!
We had decided we wanted a mustard yellow.. so we chose Martha Stewart's Pencil. Alright, so here is what we did, step by step.
- Sandpaper (we used 2 different grits, one very coarse and one a medium coarse)
- Electric sander (if you have one)
- Quart of eggshell finish paint (we have a lot left over, but this is the smallest amount they sold it in)
- Howard's Feed N Wax
- Baby wipes
- Old rags
- Blue paper towels (sold at hardware stores)
- New knobs (if you aren't keeping the old ones) and make sure they will fit, we had to bend ours to make them fit bc they were an odd length
- Drop cloths
- Sanded down completely with an electric sander and sandpaper to get into the nooks and crannies.
- Wiped down the dresser and drawers with baby wipes.
- Dry brush painted one coat on drawers and dresser.
- Waited about 20 minutes for it to dry.
- Lightly sanded paint with medium grit sandpaper.
- Wiped with blue paper towel.
- Repeated steps 3-6 two more times, until we got the color and amount of wood showing through we wanted.
- We then took the very coarse sand paper and sanded the edges of the dresser and drawers to make it look worn. Since there wasn't much paint, it got too worn in some places, so I went back to would lightly cover those places with a very dry brush with a tiny amount of paint.
- Once it was completely dry, we got two old rags and saturated them with Howard's Feed N Wax and polished everything. Waited about 20 minutes and then wiped it off with the blue paper towels.
- Step back and admire your awesome work ;)
The Howard's Feed N Wax didn't do any distressing to the wood, it just put a protective coat on the wood and a dull glaze, to give it that finished look! It honestly sounds like a lot of work, but we had fun doing it and can't wait for another project.
Our favorite little helper:
Hopefully you find inspiration!! Happy Wednesday :)
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Hello! It's been a while... I have so many things to blog about, but I have lost my camera cord :/
Who's ready to shop?? I will put a price above the item for sale, or I will accept your best offer! If you want an item- please e-mail me at Haley_Sturgeon@yahoo.com ... I apologize for the poor photo quality. These were taken in natural light with an iPhone!
Stretchy Long-Sleeved dress
Brown 100% Silk Ombre dress
Red 3/4 Dress
Black Shiny Dress
Brown Sweater Dress
Size Large (fits like medium)
Stretchy Short-sleeved blue dress
Stretchy Faux-Wrap Dress
Green Floral Ruffle Dress
If you want more info (brand, material,etc.) please e-mail me and I will be happy to help! Hope everyone is having a terrific Tuesday! Thanks all!
Shipping costs are included in the price